Saturday 19 November 2016

Deciding To Make A Change

In this post I introduce myself and share my personal experience. 

Do you ever look back on your life and wish that you had done more to make you truly happy? Well, it is never too late. Have you been struggling to figure out what your life passion might be? Now is the time. Everyday is a second chance.

It has been a difficult year having lost my daughter, and taking some time out from work. Through this awful experience I have been made brutally aware that every day is a gift. I have to live my life to the fullest for my little girl. So I have been encouraged by my family to make each day count. To stop existing and start living. To ask myself if what I'm doing today is getting me closer to where I want to be tomorrow.

My name is Kirsty and I was born on 6th December 1988 at Lincoln County Hospital. I live in Mansfield with my partner Joe, and have lived in the area since I was about four years old. 

As a child I was quite content being on my own in my bedroom reading or writing. I loved to write. English was by far my favourite subject at school. My uncle would always read my stories and every time I saw him he would ask if I had written anything new. I was very shy, (and still am a bit) and so when I went to secondary school I didn't make any real friends. As a result I didn't enjoy my time there and couldn't wait for it to end. 

When my GCSE's were approaching I didn't study at all and made little effort, knowing but not caring, that it would affect my future. And so, the highest grade I got was a C in English. I left school not knowing what I wanted to do with my life and with no qualifications. I felt so lost. 

As I got older I stopped writing as much due to lack confidence and low self-esteem, and then I stopped altogether. My uncle stopped asking me if I had written anything he could read. I stopped doing what made me happy, and started comparing myself to everyone else.

After school I managed to enrol at New College Nottingham on a Music Performance course for a year as a singer. I come from a family of singers and musicians so it has always been a big part of my life. I completed the course and enrolled on the next one, but decided part way through that it wasn't giving me as much excitement as I thought it would. It was a good experience and I love music. But it didn't make me the happiest I can be. 

I was then unemployed for a couple of years, applying for any job I could, until eventually I was offered an apprenticeship in Business Administration at a local charity. I have now worked there for six and a half years and have a Level 2 and Level 3 NVQ in Business Administration. 

I really do enjoy my job and the people I work with make it even better. To think of what I have achieved since leaving school does make me proud, but it's not my dream job. And I have always known that. It was the only opportunity I had at the time and I had to take it. But now I am older and I feel more confident in my abilities. I want to work as hard as I can so that when I am older, I can look back on my life with no regrets. 

So I have been motivated into thinking my future and my love for writing. About the excitement I used to feel when I finished a short story or poem and watched someone read it with pride. That is how I want to feel again. 

I am not sure which area of writing I want to pursue so I have decided to start a blog to get me thinking. I will also be sharing my journey with you as a way of inspiring others and to keep me focused. I have started making a list of steps I can take, big or small, to help me get back on the path I veered off a long time ago.

I am going to publish a post each week which will feature a variety of different topics. They will include:

  • Reviews on events and literature etc;
  • Essays on topics from my point of view;
  • Short stories;
  • Poems;
  • Recipes;
  • Tasks that you can do at home;
  • Updates on my progress, and more. 

Task this week.

Get a notepad and write the following question at the top of the page. 'What are the things I'm most passionate about?' In your own time and in your own way, write about the things that make you feel excited. If you have been thinking about making positive changes in your life, then this is a good place to start to get you thinking about your future. I will share my answer to this question in my next post. 

My progress so far:

This week so far I have emailed Mansfield and Ashfield Chad Newspaper enquiring about whether there are any volunteering opportunities to start gaining some experience. I have ordered an Adult Course Guide 2016/17 from West Nottinghamshire College to see if there are any evening writing courses I could enrol on. I have gone for a run (albeit a short one) for the first time in over a year. I have also bought some more notepads and a new book to read.

Next week's post I will be talking about The Big Switch On in Mansfield which I will be attending this Sunday 20th November 2016.

Remember: Success begins with one step outside of your comfort zone!

6 comments:

  1. Absolutely love this! So proud! Xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. A great read. Looking forward to reading your articles Kirsty xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looking forward to reading all about your new writing adventures. Good luck xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very inspiring. I love blogging. Looking forward to reading your posts. I did a work placement at the Chad and loved it there. Good luck with your writing Kirsty xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. This has been made me burst with excitement for you about all the magic that awaits you. Well done lovely, I can't wait for the next one xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. So lovely to see this Kirsty and we are all so very proud of you.Brilliant. Looking forward to more. Lots of love. Uncle Ralph and Auntie Lynda xxxx

    ReplyDelete