Saturday 26 November 2016

Mansfield's Big Switch On

Thank you to everyone who read my first blog and thanks again for coming back. Don't forget to share it with your friends!

In this post I tell you all about Mansfield's Big Switch On.



It was a relief that the rain held off on Sunday. Although it was quite cold, so I did feel for Tinkerbell in her tiny dress.

Earlier in the day we saw The Red Hot Band 'Swing into Christmas', face painting, a circus skills workshop, and of course Santa's Grotto. Plus the food market and much more.

The main stage show, presented by Mansfield 103.2, was opened by the Mayor of Mansfield, Kate Allsop, who told us about the great year Mansfield has had, including getting 10 Green Flag Awards.

We met paralympic athletes Ollie Hynd MBE and Charlotte Henshaw, sporting their medals, and we heard how special it was going from early morning training sessions together at Water Meadows to racing in Rio. Mansfield has also awarded them the Freedom of the Town, which is given to 'persons who have rendered eminent services to the borough'. What an honor.

The cast of Peter Pan took some time out from rehearsing to perform some tricks with little Jamie and Ebony. It was a bit of a let down after shouting 'Faith, trust and fairy dust' several times, the firework failed to go off. But they promised to deliver at the pantomime which is on at Mansfield Palace Theatre from 26th November to 31st December. 83% of tickets had already been sold by then so I'd imagine you're out of luck by now.

We were musically entertained by five piece cover band Soul Rhythm, who got us all into the Christmas spirit with George Michael's Last Christmas, and young Millie and Jasmine singing Snowman's Walking in the Air.

But the highlight for me was listening to Katie Markham singing Christmas classics such as All I Want for Christmas is You. She was handpicked by Adele herself to tour UK theatres recreating a selection of songs. So book your tickets now at http://m.atgtickets.com/shows/someone-like-you-the-adele-songbook

The show ended with a bang when the 34ft Christmas tree lit up and fireworks filled the sky. It was a brilliant event with lots of talent and excited smiling faces. Thanks to everyone who made it possible.



If you attended, don't forget to complete the online survey. Tell them what you thought and you could win a £30 voucher.

Thanks to the supporting partners:
  • Mansfield District Council
  • Mansfield Palace Palace Theatre
  • Mansfield and Ashfield Chad
  • Mansfield 103.2
  • Mansfield BID
  • Mansfield 2020
  • Four Seasons Shopping Centre
  • Razzmatazz
  • Funky Studios
  • 6 Five 2's Taxis
Last week's task

What are the things I'm most passionate about?

It's really important to do the things that make you happy. This sounds so obvious. But often we can find ourselves going through life thinking we have so much time, and then before we know it, years have gone by and we're still thinking about the same old things. That's why I'm thinking more and more about my future.

I am most passionate about reading and writing and music. As I've got older I have stopped getting involved in all three. But now I have started reading. I work on my blog most nights. I have been using the internet to research tips on how to improve my writing. I'm looking up local book and music events.There's so much out there to get involved in. I just need to get out there and do it. There's no excuses anymore. I want to be able to say 'I am' rather than 'I wish'.

This week's task

Choose one of the things you are most passionate about and begin learning everything you can about it or an aspect of it. I have decided to learn all I can about interview techniques, and I'll show you what I have learnt in a later post by interviewing a family member.

My progress

Through the week I have been making an effort to think positively. Every time a negative thought pops in my head, I let myself think it, and then I let it go. Like swiping onto the next picture on my phone. Or if I'm having a difficult moment, I count to ten. If I think positive, then positive things will happen.

On the 23rd November I went back to work after four months off. I was a little bit nervous, but I soon settled back into it like I had never been away. So thanks to my work colleagues for making me feel welcome again.

I recently bought another book from a charity shop and started to read again. The bus ride to and from work gives me the perfect opportunity, and it makes the journey go so much faster. I'll be doing a practice review of this particular book in a future blog. So keep an eye out.

I have also been sending lots of emails to various different places enquiring about volunteering, reading and writing groups, and training courses. I have found a crime reading group at Mansfield Library, which meets on the first Tuesday of every month from 2.00pm to 3.00pm.

And another positive note, my partner Joe has just got himself a Christmas job! Things are looking up.

Book Events 2017

January

Costa Book Awards is on at West Bridgford Library on Thursday 19th January 2017 at 7.30pm. Booking is essential at £5 per person.

February

Killer Women at Mansfield Library on Saturday 25th February 2017 at 2.00pm. Author Kate Rhodes and others discuss whether the female is deadlier than the male in crime fiction.

Next week's post - Mansfield Museum.

Remember: You'll never have this day again so make it count!

1 comment:

  1. Great to read something so positive! Looking forward to more posts. Keep it up Kirsty. Xxx

    ReplyDelete