Saturday 3 December 2016

The History of Mansfield

Mansfield isn't just the place I live. It has a fascinating history and the more I learn, the more I want to know. It's easy to take for granted the hard work that the people of Mansfield have put into making this town what it is today. 

There is history everywhere you look. For instance, the Bentinck Memorial in Mansfield Market Place was built in 1849 by architect Thomas Chambers Nine. It is a monument to Lord George Bentinck, who was an English Conservative and racehorse owner. Everything has a history. In fact, Mansfield itself was recorded in the Doomsday Book in 1086 as Mammesfeld and the spelling changed again and again over the years. 


So next time you are out and about, no matter where you live, just have a look around at the buildings. It's amazing what you see when you're actually looking. 

The Mansfield Museum is a great place to start if you are interested in the history of Mansfield town. It was the creation of William Edward Baily, who in 1903, offered a building to house his collection. The present building opened in 1938, and in 1989 a fourth gallery was added and the building extended.  

There are permanent and temporary exhibitions at the Museum. The permanent exhibition shows the social and industrial history using objects and photos. 

The staff are extremely helpful and even let me have a look at their book entitled 'Mansfield 1891 - 1989. Our Mayors, Chairmen, MP's, their descendants and other local leaders'. Inside I found a history of the Mayor Councillor Mrs M.E. Marriott who opened the building in 1938. 

The Museum is also a great place to inspire creative writing. Children can get involved in the Art Beat workshop, or volunteer and learn how to care for the items in the collection. There are so many opportunities just waiting on your doorstep.

If you looking for a volunteering opportunity in Mansfield, I recommend having a look at the roles listed on their website and see if any catch your eye. You can download a volunteer pack, and before you know it, you could be gaining customer service experience and be a key member of the Mansfield Museum team. 

It is free and open from Monday to Saturday, 10am to 5pm (except Bank Holidays)


Events at Mansfield Museum

ArtBeat! - Christmas themed activities.

  • Wednesday 21st December - 10am to 1pm
  • Thursday 22nd December - 10am to 1pm


Reminiscence Tea Room - A free monthly social event for people with memory loss, their friends and families.

  • Wednesday 14th December - 2.30pm to 4pm


Valuation Day - An auctioneer from Bamfords Derby will be on hand to value your treasured possessions.

  • Monday 5th December - 1pm to 3pm
  • Monday 6th February 2017 - 1pm to 3pm
  • Monday 6th March 2017 - 1pm to 3pm


Last week's task.

Last week I made a decision to learn all I could about interview techniques. So I have been looking up all sorts of tips from the internet and making notes, gathering a long list of questions I can ask. My mum, Cynthia, has agreed to be my first interviewee, so watch out for that post.

This week's task

Think about areas in your life that you want to change. It could be a change to your career, health or education. Once you have decided on an area such as 'I want to run a marathon', give yourself a deadline. Then start to break down that goal into manageable chunks, which could start with taking up a new fitness class. A big goal can seem unachievable, so take it day by day.

My progress

It's okay to have a wobble now and then. Sometimes it's hard to imagine that everything is going to be okay. But I have learnt one valuable thing as I have got older. It IS going to be okay. If I have a negative moment, I have to think to myself that everything that has been a struggle has made me stronger. I think to myself 'I choose to be happy'. In life bad things happen and it feels like the end of the world, but a brighter day will come. You can make the day brighter.

After losing my daughter Jessica, I thought I would never smile again, or feel anything but sadness. But she was here, although for a very brief moment, and I'm grateful I got to spend that time with her. Of course there are hard days. I am here and she is not, and for that reason I have to make the most of each day and be grateful. 

So if you are feeling unhappy for whatever reason, it's okay to ask for help. It is surprising how much a good chat can help. 

So this week I have booked myself onto a new Crime Reading Group at Mansfield Library which starts in the New Year. It's free and will meet once a month. They have yet to let me know the date and time, so I will keep you informed should anyone be interested.

One of my other goals is to get fitter. So I have found a beginners running group called Fit to Run that train every Thursday night at West Notts College. It's a 6.20pm start to run at 6.30pm and costs £2 per session. I have been told that it's a lovely group of people. 

I have also submitted my volunteer application to Mansfield Library, so hopefully I can start helping out a couple of hours a week and get involved in the community. 

Step by step. We will get there!

Next week's post - A short story by Kirsty.

Remember: Believe you can and you're halfway there!

1 comment:

  1. Another great read Kirsty! I look forward to your posts, can't wait for the next. Xxx

    ReplyDelete