Sunday 18 December 2016

My Review of Bengal Cottage

My review of Bengal Cottage - Indian Restaurant and Take Away



I was invited out some weeks ago by my sister Jo, for dinner and drinks with friends for a Friday night get together. After a long week at work I was very much looking forward to getting dressed up and having a good laugh with a great bunch of girls. The venue: Bengal Cottage.

This restaurant has been described as a 'hidden gem' and has been given 3.5 out of 5 on Trip Advisor. It is located on the second floor of 4 Burns Lane in Warsop (on the outskirts of Mansfield) and they serve modernised Indian cuisine. The talented chef uses natural herbs and spices to create an authentic flavour which leaves you wanting more long after you've left.

I must admit I'm not very adventurous when it comes to Indian food, so I played it safe and ordered a dish I knew I would enjoy. Chicken Tikka Massala. It was tasty and creamy and a very good portion size, which I struggled to finish surprisingly. The other girls ate Chicken Korma and particular favourite; chef special Tandoori Butter Chicken, which my sister raves about. So if you enjoy a rich flavour to your food it might worth ordering a portion of the Tandoori Butter Chicken and sharing it between you.

The seating space is fairly small but big enough to cater for parties. In fact there was a party in the restaurant with us of at least 12, who were quite noisy, but I won't hold that against them.

The staff are very friendly and accommodating. As one the girls was running late they were more than happy for us to wait so we could order all together. And when we did order the food arrived promptly.

They offer traditional dishes such as Rogan Josh, Madras, Massala, Vindaloo, Korma and Jalfrezi. But if you can't find your favourite dish then you can tell the chef and he'll be more than happy to create it. That's service! So why not have a look at the menu on www.bengalcottage.co.uk


Interestingly the website also provides the recipes of 8 of the dishes on their menu, including Chicken Korma, Lamb Curry and Gobi Aloo. So if you like spending time in the kitchen I would recommend having a go yourself. If you do, I would love to hear your about your Bengal Cottage cuisine.

The bill came to under £50 for five of us. A bargain! However, the bill did not include alcoholic drinks so customers should remember to bring their own. This does mean you can save some money if you are on a budget.

The only downside I could really find to this venue was that there was no disabled access. It is located on the second floor and has one entrance so it should be expected. But one of our girls was using a crutch and found it slightly difficult to get up and down the stairs.


To make a reservation or to order a take away, telephone 01623 843499

Have a look at the menu on www.bengalcottage.co.uk

Opening Hours:-

  • Monday to Saturday - 5:30pm to Midnight
  • Sunday - 5:30pm to 11:30pm

I give this restaurant a 4 out of 5. Disagree? Tell me why in the comments section below.

Jo and myself at Bengal Cottage -16/12/2016

This weeks task - What are my greatest accomplishments in life so far?

Making the decision to pursue your dreams can be both scary and exciting. It is life changing after all. But it is also important to remind yourself of the amazing things you have achieved so far. It can be easy to think you have wasted so many years of your life by putting things off. I am the guiltiest of all. However, everything we do makes us who are, it gives us wisdom and experience, and prepares us for the journey we have just begun. So I would like for you to write down in your own words, what you think are your greatest accomplishments in life so far. What experiences have made you a better person? Have your list somewhere nearby and just keep adding to it.

My progress

Last week I attended my first session with Fit to Run and I have to say that it felt great to do finally something that I have been putting off for some time. Everyone was so friendly and encouraging and it is just what I need in order to push myself that little bit further. They always have a tail runner so if you're a beginner like me, you don't have to worry that you'll be left behind. It is hard work, but it feels so good to wake up the muscles again.

In my last post I shared my first short story; Michael. I must admit I was a bit nervous to share it with you all, seeing how I hadn't wrote anything in quite some time. It took a while for me to get inspired, but after several false starts I finally did it! It has been described as a horror which over the years I have found to be my favourite genre to write. If you haven't read it yet and can spare 10 minutes, give it a go and tell me what you thought. Construct criticism welcome. I have had lots of positive feedback so far and it has really lifted me up. I know I have a way to go and this is only the beginning, but hearing people tell me I am off to a great start is so rewarding. The hard work is definitely worth it.

On 11th January 2017 I have my volunteer interview for a position at Mansfield Library. I am quite looking forward to joining the team (hopefully) which should make for an exciting start to the New Year. It is also a great central point to get news about events happening in and around Mansfield, which I will share with you all.

I was also recently given a belated present from my family following my birthday a few weeks ago. It was a voice recorder. I had previously mentioned how useful it would be to have one for interviews and recording speeches at events and so on, so I am thrilled with it. I can't wait to try it out. Thanks so much for supporting me guys!

Next week's post: Christmas special.

As next Sunday is Christmas day I will be posting a little later then usual, but I will be back! I hope you all have a Merry Christmas. Relax and enjoy.



Remember: Tomorrow is a brand new day full of brand new opportunities. A friend has recently recommended using a lipstick (or whatever you have to hand) and writing on your mirror 'I am enough', and I am going to do it. I hope you do it too. It is not about changing who you are inside, but encouraging yourself to be all you can be. You can do it! I believe in you!

1 comment:

  1. Love reading your blogs, i find your tasks and progress updates motivating! Good luck with your interview Kirsty, you'll be fab! Xx

    ReplyDelete